First off, thanks to Fred for a really interesting engine conversion. I shudder to think how much work this took.
Now, a couple of notes:
***POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD***
1. Game works fine in Windows 7 with Compatibility set to XP mode.
2. Game crashes any time the party attempts to enter the house in Easthaven next to the lake and the dreaming man (where the drunkard is waiting inside for you to go Freud on him...or just steal him some booze)-the crash is a blackscreen freeze-up, with no crash to the desktop. My hunch would be that the files for this location are missing/corrupt/something else? But I'm no modder, so just an idea.
3. XP mods (modified mo'crate files do successfully mod this version. Insane mod mocrate raises xp successfully.
4. Heart of Fury mode doesn't seem to activate-on a run through with HoF enabled, the monsters do not get the insane level of hit points/AC. Thus cleaning out the beetles and orcs is far easier (except for the big guys down below).
5. Orcs in IWD2 engine get around 10-30 gold per drop, so money isn't too tight
6. Quest xp awards sadly VERY small compared to IWD1...the stupid water sprite gave me a total of 1200 for all of her dialogues with a bard. Hmmm...I wonder how much xp she is worth as a kill?
7. Ah, the joy of level one summon monster...assuming someone figures out how to implement hof mode, it still will be abusive
8. I'm guessing dialogue-skill checks are something that won't be implemented for a while...?
Which means even less need for Charisma and Intelligence in PCs (all hail the stupid ugly horde of chaotic evil berserkers who actually saved our town instead of destroying it!
Overall, good gameplay so far-will post more later.