Photo

Multi-Install Management

5 replies to this topic

#1 Orions_Stardom

Orions_Stardom
  • Gibberlings
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

Ok, as it stands MIT is a fairly bare-bones app - it copies some stuff, and edits a file. What it *doesn't* do is keep track of what it's done.
What I'm planning is a fix to this - keep a list of all installations (in, I would think, a specially formatted text file, in an appropriate location), and the initial screen should show these to the User. User can then select an install, and either play it or delete it. They can also create a new install (via something like our current dialogue - possible some differences, see below).

Advantages:
- Makes sense.
- Leaves micro-management to the computer, letting the user get on with the job at hand.

Disadvantages:
- More code. But a re-write has been on the books for far too long anyway.

What do people think of this?

Edited by Orions_Stardom, 18 September 2005 - 10:19 PM.

#2 BigRob

BigRob

The Prince of Worthless Trivia

• Gibberlings
  • 3874 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:13 PM

Sounds good. If you can have a start-up screen that says "Play BGII with the following mods: XXXX ", or even a unique name for each install, you don't need to remember where the hell you left your beta-testing install for this mod or that, or which mods you have on your general install and so on.
Aklon: Traveller. Healer. Warrior. Lover. Coming Soon at G3 (I swear!)

Click here to visit Aklon's G3 page.

Cam is on some kind of crack or something... either that, or it's the influence of Dr. Feelgood. - Icelus

The second confusing thing about Australia are the animals. They can be divided into three categories: Poisonous, Odd, and Sheep.

-Douglas Adams

#3 Orions_Stardom

Orions_Stardom
  • Gibberlings
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:53 AM

Names for each should be easy enough... mods would be harder, I think, without becoming a full-fledged WeiDU frontend (which may be worth doing at some point aswell, but not right now). :p

#4 CamDawg

CamDawg

Just returned from a triumphant carpet-bombing of Eden 7

• Gibberling Poobah
  • 8891 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:49 AM

Yeah, I'm with BigRob. It'd be nice to be able to give each a unique name.

And yes, please consider writing a WeiDU frontend. :p

What makes a good man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

#5 Orions_Stardom

Orions_Stardom
  • Gibberlings
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:20 AM

Ok, consensus seems to be that this is desirable. Therefore, I'll say it's a bug that we don't have it.

#6 Orions_Stardom

Orions_Stardom
  • Gibberlings
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

Various things have come up in my personal life recently, which would make it difficult - if not impossible - for me to implement and test this properly. I'm moving this to No Action for now, but I'll put it in if someone else can figure out how best to do it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users