Photo

String problems with BG2 Tweaks v14 and BGEE/BGIIEE

25 replies to this topic

#16 G_Admiral_Thrawn

G_Admiral_Thrawn
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

I just reinstalled everything, and from what I can tell, you have to install everything in the order http://forum.baldurs...ble-mod-list/p1 says. That was my problem, I think. Atleast, everything is as it should be now, so far as I've seen.

#17 Grand_Dracolich

Grand_Dracolich

In the middle of my backswing!!!

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Seems like weidu 236 solves all string-related issues that I have seen with 232.

Ah, nice. So how do I install with 236 instead of 232?
Currently reading: Machiavelli - The Art of War
"It is legitimate, I think, to speak well of any man after he is dead, because then there can no longer be any imputation or suspicion of flattery" - Book 1.

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Members
  • 3553 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Seems like weidu 236 solves all string-related issues that I have seen with 232.

Well, you download the v236 Windows Binary archive from here, extract the weidu.exe to the game folder, remove the setup-*modname*.exe and rename the weidu.exe as that removed setup-*modname*.exe .
In the tweakpack as you download the BG2_Tweak_v14.exe, that's the mod archive, and when you run it, it will extract the mod content to the game folder, and it tries to autorun the setup-tweakpack.exe_whatever_it's_actual_name_is.exe ... so you just push Q + ENTER to quit it at that phase, and do the above, and then run the setup-tweakpack.exe_whatever_it's_actual_name_is.exe and install the components you wish.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 February 2014 - 02:19 PM.

Yes... I am probably still editing the post above.
FAQ for the Megamods. Frequently Answered Questions.

#19 Grand_Dracolich

Grand_Dracolich

In the middle of my backswing!!!

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks! I can confirm it does work with v236!
Currently reading: Machiavelli - The Art of War
"It is legitimate, I think, to speak well of any man after he is dead, because then there can no longer be any imputation or suspicion of flattery" - Book 1.

#20 MagusJanus

MagusJanus
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Well, you download the v236 Windows Binary archive from here, extract the weidu.exe to the game folder, remove the setup-*modname*.exe and rename the weidu.exe as that removed setup-*modname*.exe .
In the tweakpack as you download the BG2_Tweak_v14.exe, that's the mod archive, and when you run it, it will extract the mod content to the game folder, and it tries to autorun the setup-tweakpack.exe_whatever_it's_actual_name_is.exe ... so you just push Q + ENTER to quit it at that phase, and do the above, and then run the setup-tweakpack.exe_whatever_it's_actual_name_is.exe and install the components you wish.

I've been trying this and I can't get it to run; the screen just pops up and vanishes.

And I just figured it out. It turns out I needed to adjust my security settings. Set a wee bit too high... :blush:

Edited by MagusJanus, 24 February 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#21 siddham

siddham
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I just got BG2EE and installed the Tweak pack v14...only to find multiple errors on the weapon descriptions.

I am somewhat dismayed that this error has not been fixed...this thread shows that it has been known for many months

and still the faulty mod pack is in place.

I am wondering, can I trust this mod at all?

Are there other issues with it that I dont see at the start but that might break my game later on?

#22 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

I just got BG2EE and installed the Tweak pack v14...only to find multiple errors on the weapon descriptions.

I am somewhat dismayed that this error has not been fixed...this thread shows that it has been known for many months

and still the faulty mod pack is in place.

I am wondering, can I trust this mod at all?

Are there other issues with it that I dont see at the start but that might break my game later on?

Did you use the weidu.exe v23600 ?

And no, there's no other problems... if it would make a mockery of the files it installs, it would error out and not install onto your game(and thus also remove itself).

#23 siddham

siddham
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hello Jarno

Thanks for reply.

I installed V14.....and then found the errors.

I came here and downloaded weidu v236.

I changed the name of the weidu.exe file to 'setup-bg2_tweaks.exe' and put it in my game folder.

I ran it and removed a few tweaks that some people said were problems - eg thief and casting skills with armor.

Then I quit Q and it went through some long process on its own and finished.

I reloaded my game and the string errors are fixed.

But now I have lost confidence in the mod...can you understand that.

I just wonder are there other errors now - even in my character stats or whatever that I dont see yet?

I am not a programmer so I dont know much about how these things work under the hood.

Edited by siddham, 21 July 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#24 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

But now I have lost confidence in the mod...can you understand that.

Yes, I understand that... but the technical explanation is that as the weidu.exe didn't update the correct dialog.tlk file, which houses the item descriptions as strings because the old was never designed to install mods to the BG2EE... it didn't exist by that time yet.
If you install the removed components using the manually updated setup-bg2_tweaks.exe, they should work correctly.

#25 siddham

siddham
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

Thanks Jarno.

Can I ask you this.

If the Weidu installer packaged with V14 of the Tweaks mod is not able to correctly install the mod on BG2EE....

Why does it say that V14 is compatible with BG2EE on the mod page?

And since this has been known for many months now...why has  there been no update..

either with the correct Weidu version....

or even just a note on the page about the necessity to use a different Weidu version?

#26 Dakk

Dakk
  • Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:06 AM

Possibly something to do with (unpaid, donating their free time) modders not having the time to do so yet?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users