Photo

Black Screen + Hang after launch

3 replies to this topic

#1 Outer Heaven

Outer Heaven
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Recently just installed BG 2 SoA/ToB, then the ToB patch, followed by the fixpack and tweakpack from this website. Tested, and the game ran fine. Then I installed the Widescreen mod, set my res at 1600x900, my native res, and just got blackscreen and hang after launch. My computer then became unresponsive and I had to hold down the power button.

I then tried 1280x720 and the same thing happened as before. Uninstalling this mod resolves this issue.

Im running Windows 7 64 and the game is installed to c/programfiles86/blackisle.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

#2 plainab

plainab

Sasha al'Therin

• Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Rule #1 especially with Windows 7 is to install in any directory outside of Program Files. C:\Games is a good place
Why? Windows 7 (as well as some other versions of Windows) protects the data in the Program Files directories (yep there are two of 'em Program Files & Program Files (x86) ). Because of this when installing mods there can be problems, especially in the case of widescreen because it modifies the game executable file.
What's happening is that Windows protected the .exe file but let the other patches take place, so when the game is run it's expecting the original dimension files and so craps out cause the files have been modified.

Solution: uninstall everything and reinstall in a directory outside of Program Files
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#3 Outer Heaven

Outer Heaven
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

So program files is z cause, shoulda known >.>

Cheers plainab

#4 Outer Heaven

Outer Heaven
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Tested and your totally correct, ah man the game looks so much better with widescreen! Thanks again ^^

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users