New Baldur's gate?

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 Haplo

Haplo
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

I just read some news in a VideoGame magazine..... apparently they "washed the face" of the website baldursgate.com, and they expeculate that is for a new game that It will be made by a former Bioware guy, Osten something, who created a new company.

If this hold any thuth... well, let's just say that is the kind of news I've been waiting for 12 years!!!

Anyone knows anything else??

Edited by Haplo, 29 February 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#2 ericp07

ericp07

Journeyman Modder

• Members
  • 1269 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

I don't recognize the theme music on the page at baldursgate.com. It's not from BG2, that I recall. Where does it come from?

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.

A female elf warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#3 plainab

plainab

Sasha al'Therin

• Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

I don't recognize the theme music on the page at baldursgate.com. It's not from BG2, that I recall. Where does it come from?

LOL that's BG1 music
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#4 novisionary

novisionary
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hm, it seems Beamdog, the developer responsible for this hype, only works on releasing old games on new platforms and such. Oh well.

#5 ericp07

ericp07

Journeyman Modder

• Members
  • 1269 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Been so long since I've played or seen BG1 (game discs were stolen ten years ago) that I recall very little of it.

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.

A female elf warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#6 Haplo

Haplo
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Then if that's the case, could it be a revision of BG2 in HD? or an Improvement in the Graphics and such? on a remarkable date like 15years of bioware or similar?

#7 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 1818 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

with all the ownership and legal issues, I doubt anything remarkable will come to pass.
GemRB - IE anywhere.
Mages needed! Python tamers needed for iwd2!

#8 Haplo

Haplo
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

What a shame then..... who holds the right for Baldur's Gate and IWD series? is still EA?? (They owe Bioware isn't it?)

#9 Bri

Bri
  • Gibberlings
  • 3637 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

As far as I know, Atari actually has the rights to the Baldur's Gate series (last year they released an anthology disc, supposedly compatible with Windows 7) that has Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (and their supplements), Icewind Dale 1 & 2, and Planescape Torment. However, these are still the old games, no other major updates.

Edited by Bri, 01 March 2012 - 06:27 PM.

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modders
  • 4749 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Been so long since I've played or seen BG1 (game discs were stolen ten years ago) that I recall very little of it.

You poor, sorry... oh wait, you lucky SOB... you're in for a $5 treat that anything outside Thailand can't get you. BG1 is much better than BG2.
Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -Terry Pratchett

#11 Haplo

Haplo
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Atari? didn't know that :)

One thing I never understood is why they did not made any kind of major change in the game if they were about to re-release them, to make some money, or why they never made a BG3 for that matter. There's a huge community around the world who still plays all the I.E games, mods and everything. Large enoguh to make serious benefit out of it. But I guess we'll have to keep dreaming about it.

#12 Bri

Bri
  • Gibberlings
  • 3637 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

I know I would be leery of any new Baldur's Gate 3 this late. There was a release last year of a Return to Neverwinter, I believe it is called, and it was...*shakes head*
"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#13 Dakk

Dakk
  • Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

As far as I know, Atari actually has the rights to the Baldur's Gate series (last year they released an anthology disc, supposedly compatible with Windows 7) that has Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (and their supplements), Icewind Dale 1 & 2, and Planescape Torment. However, these are still the old games, no other major updates.

And you can get that anthology for <7€ @ GamersGate. For all those with discs stolen/gone/broken; this is Godsend and an absolute must.

#14 Aion

Aion

Heart Of Magma

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Yeah. It's kind of like Duke Nukem Forever, also known as Duke Nukem *Takes* Forever, which has finally been released after 12 years in development. Cool game, I'd play it. I used to love Duke Nukem 3D.
But I wonder how many people are still waiting for a new Duke Nukem game? 12 years is a long time. Games lose popularity, other games are released such as the Halo series, Borderlands series, etc.
I guess Baldur's Gate could be the same. It was released in 2000, also 12 years ago this year. What I'd be concerned about, if they ever make BG3, is them making it like NWN or NWN2. However, if they make it like, say, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR... then I would be happier. Preferably like BG1 and BG2, although that seems unlikely.

Edited by Aion, 03 March 2012 - 02:31 AM.

Volcano Productions - Aion's mods
Soul Exchange @ BWL

#15 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

And you can get that anthology for <7&euro; @ GamersGate. For all those with discs stolen/gone/broken; this is Godsend and an absolute must.

Just be aware that the anthology has problems installing mod content, particularly EasyTutu but also BGT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users