Jump to content


2nd vs 3rd ed version of spells


4 replies to this topic

#1 onerous

  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

Would you consider converting some spells from AD&D to their 3rd edition counterparts? Unfortunately the only ones I can think of are web (conjuration) and cloudkill (conjuration).

#2 polytope

  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

This would foil AI checks for spell immunity.

I don't see the problem with those spells being evocations, evocation creates either matter or energy, conjuration brings pre-existing objects from somewhere else.

Either way, the inability to recognize which type of spell immunity will block them is the main issue.
Polytweak - Polytope's enhancements of BG2 creatures, NPCs and the proficiency system.

#3 Demivrgvs

    The Laughing Man

  • Modders
  • 4814 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:00 AM

View Postonerous, on Oct 20 2011, 05:02 PM, said:

Would you consider converting some spells from AD&D to their 3rd edition counterparts? Unfortunately the only ones I can think of are web (conjuration) and cloudkill (conjuration).
Yeah, this is planned for V4.

View Postpolytope, on Oct 21 2011, 02:08 AM, said:

This would foil AI checks for spell immunity.
Do the AI really uses SI as a counter to those spells? Afaik SCS uses (M)GoI+AoE spells (e.g. I remember Yuan-ti mages using MGoI+Web), but I never saw a mage cast SI:Evo as a reaction to me casting a Web or cloud spell.

#4 polytope

  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

View PostDemivrgvs, on Nov 3 2011, 03:00 AM, said:

View Postpolytope, on Oct 21 2011, 02:08 AM, said:

This would foil AI checks for spell immunity.
Do the AI really uses SI as a counter to those spells? Afaik SCS uses (M)GoI+AoE spells (e.g. I remember Yuan-ti mages using MGoI+Web), but I never saw a mage cast SI:Evo as a reaction to me casting a Web or cloud spell.
I don't believe they use it as a counter, but most mages will check for SI:Evocation (rather than conjuration) before casting Web etc.

If a fireball is an evocation, why not a cloudkill/SC? It's still a ball of gas, just poisonous rather than combusting.
Polytweak - Polytope's enhancements of BG2 creatures, NPCs and the proficiency system.

#5 onerous

  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

View Postpolytope, on Nov 3 2011, 07:27 AM, said:

If a fireball is an evocation, why not a cloudkill/SC? It's still a ball of gas, just poisonous rather than combusting.

I would say the fire in fireball is energy and evocation spells excel at tapping in and harnessing energy and power sources where as cloudkill is poison... not really energy to be manipulated. I consider it more a conjuration (creating something) similar to spells like grease and 3rd edition web.

Good to know these are planned. :)




Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users