Photo

Integrating NPC-Reactions

9 replies to this topic

#1 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 5251 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

I am on integrating NPC reactions to the quests. I have reactions written for four of the quests spo far and it turns out the NPCs are rather chatty.

So I started to wonder: Is there a "too much" if NPCs react for all quests, compared to the overall reaction frequency for the rest of the game, or do you think "the more the better"? How much reaction do you expect?

#2 Dakk

Dakk
  • Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

I'm in the "the more the better"-camp :blush:
Great idea also!

Edited by Dakk, 07 September 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#3 Lollorian

Lollorian

clueless

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Yes please! :blush: (if I had my way, I'd have every encounter be a mini soap opera) ... moar iz better!

#4 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:47 AM

More is good.
I ain't evil, I'm just good looking.

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 5251 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I will go on with the NPC reactions as I am doing them now, then.

It will be a separate install, triggered by a variable (which could be set by cheats, too, in case someone regrets installing them.)

#6 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 5251 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

A question in this regard: Does anyone of you play the "unexpected help quest" (starts in the infirmary in Candlekeep) not in the prologue but later in the game?

#7 Sanctifer

Sanctifer
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

Always in the prologue

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 5251 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Thank you for the info. Writing the NPC reactions is harder than I thought. It's always easy for some, but for some it's a real pain, if I don't want to use stereotypes all the time (like Tiax being megalomaniac, Xan saying "life is hollow", etc., you get the idea.) I have NPC reactions for all but three quests, including three new quests/encounters finished, but just can't get myself to write the last missing NPC reactions as it is really hard not to use stereotypes. :-(
So, I was toying with the idea to leave out the NPC comments for the "Unexpected Help" quest, as presumably most of the people won't see them, anyway. That would mean adding NPC reactions to two more quests, only.

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Members
  • 5616 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Yeah, with BG1 number it's quite a lot. For me it'd be either skip or add the interjections only for four or five most popular ones(Jaheira, Imoen, Kivan, Minsc, whicheverevilNPCinsertnamehere) - this way most players will still get at least one.

#10 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 5251 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

I guess that's what I should do, because at some point I want this update to go public. My cursed pride! :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users