More or less the new behaviour in my Beta is the following:
* fiend's allegiance is determined after a quick "mental duel" similarly to vanilla's Conjure Elemental
* there's 85% chance the fiend will accept to "work" for its summoner, becoming a true ally (green circle, his kills grant xp to party)
* there's 15% chance the fiend will not accept to "work" for its summoner, becoming a true enemy (red circle, will consider the AI his ally)
* when cast by the AI the fiend will always be on AI's side (a la SCS)
* if allied the fiend is not directly controllablem but follows its summoner everywhere (though I still have to implement area transitions)
* if enemy it will teleport to nearest party members until he kills them all, or he's killed
* fiends are only partially tolerant to their summoners (e.g. if players hurt them, even unintentionally, they turn hostile)
* Protection from Evil doesn't grant "immunity" to summoned demons anymore (making it consistent with SCSII)
Another advantage is that being fully allied or enemy their spell-like abilities will correctly target their opponents, whereas there were various targeting issues when fiends on both PC and AI side where in the area.
Possible refinements include:
* different % chances based on various conditions (charisma checks, caster lvl checks, caster class/kit check)
* add dialogs a la Limited Wish (for now I only use a simple display string which says either "Very well, I shall follow you" or "Now I will kill you all, foolish ones!")
If and when we'll be satisfied with the results I'll include these changes/fixes in the hotfixes.
Last but not least, let me know if these changes are welcome or if I'm working in a direction most of you dislike.
Edited by Demivrgvs, 11 September 2010 - 12:13 PM.