3E-style feat system

20 replies to this topic

#16 aVENGER_(RR)

aVENGER_(RR)

Sneaksie!

• Fixpackers
  • 1008 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

Actually, I think KR simply can incorporate RR's components, as I'm certian Avenger will have no worries if being stolen from - as he wasn't with SSoB. Might indeed be good to just ask him for his components to save time inventing the wheel.

That's correct, I don't mind at all. :thumbsup:

FYI, both Rogue Rebalancing and aTweaks are published under a fairly open license. As long as people adhere to its terms (attribution, non-commercial, share-alike) they are free to incorporate (and further adapt) any material from RR/aTweaks into their own mods. I'd just advise to remove the RR# prefix from all file names and script variables in order to avoid conflicts. Also, it might be a good idea to incorporate some compatibility checks in order to prevent similar components from RR and KR from being installed at the same time.
Retired modder

Rogue Rebalancing - Author
aTweaks - Author
Wizard Slayer Rebalancing - Co-Author
BG2 Fixpack - Contributor

#17 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 4956 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Metamagic Skills

Quick = +1 casting speed
Still = -% arcane casting failure
Silent = immunity to silence
Maximize/Empower/Extend, well, yeah...

- Quick: yeah, let's make mages more overpowered than they already are...I nerf Vecna's Robe only to make a permanent effect which stacks with Vecna's ability
- Silent: in one instant we make a 2nd lvl spell completely useless and few items unappealing
- Extend: increased duration opcode is semi-broken
- Maximize: increased caster lvl? Fine...
- Empower: increased damage? Not doable...though some Planescape item claims to do something like that...

I can see Quick and Silent as HLAs, but a permanent effect at mid-low levels would be really too much imo.

Let's say that we have 4-5 metamagic skills (and I don't think we do), we would have to limit the number of selectable ones to 1-2, else what's the whole point of creating a huge new system if you always end up with all of them?

Otoh, I don't remember off-hand...what would be the problem in simply using the pre-existing HLA tables, adding there few Low Level Abilities, and making the table start to appear at a lower xp point? We can then add level checks for each ability, as I think it's a standard feature of the tables (though unused till now).

Actually, I think KR simply can incorporate RR's components, as I'm certian Avenger will have no worries if being stolen from - as he wasn't with SSoB. Might indeed be good to just ask him for his components to save time inventing the wheel.

That's correct, I don't mind at all. :thumbsup:

Cool!

Actually I was probably going to ask you something like that because KR's thief kits are probably going to be carbon copies of RR ones (I've very few differences in mind), and I don't want to create confusion (e.g. it's nice that your AI takes into account and uses Assasin's Death Attack).

#18 yarpen

yarpen
  • Members
  • 1339 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

I don't know how metamagic skills should be working. I was thinking about thing like:
Quick spell: -1 to spellcasting time, -2 to spellcasting level

And it should have limited duration. 1 round/level?

#19 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I've actually figured out a way to do something LD this - I don't know anything about 3E/feats, but something like Fallout-style perks. I've figured it conceptually, but I haven't made it because 1) my modding skills only extend to using Near Infinity; and 2) I have zero free time these days.

But the idea is to use the HLA table, starting from level 2. I *think* they are limited to *displaying* 24 powers at any given level-up... not to having 24 in total (if I'm wrong please tell me). IF that's correct, then you could carefully arrange them with min/max levels and with prerequisite powers, such that only 24 are available at any given time. I envision about 12 general powers available to anyone - kind of like nonweapon proficiencies - and 12 class-specific abilities. They would come every 2 or 3 levels (every level would be too much) by using "shadow-kits" the way the Refinements mod does. I.e. at level 2 you would choose a perk, which would give you an ability AND kick you into a shadow kit; the shadow kit would have no perks, except a mandatory one that kicks you back into the first kit, which would happen at level 3; then at level 4 you would pick another perk and the cycle would repeat.

But this would be very much its own mod - an alternative to Kit Revisions, not a part of it (and thus it should have it's own thread somewhere else). There would be no kits with this system; instead, the player would design their own "kit" by combining various perks. (I suppose you could just implement this for the pure-class kits, but it would be pretty unbalanced. I would envision this being an added kit, so the player could choose to play this way or not. Players could combine it with the Level 1 NPCs mod if they wanted the whole game to work this way.)

#20 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

poop - sorry for necroing this thread. I didn't see the date before I posted.

#21 Ardanis

Ardanis

A very GAR character

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Demi has considered using the HLA tables for lower-level feats, but eventually we settled on the vanilla BG2 approach, when all characters receive new abilities at fixed levels.
"Uguu~ Boku Ayu."

Before you start breaking wall tiles with your bare fists, ask yourself first - do you truly need it?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users